Friday, August 13, 2004

P's Top X Z's of Y for Q

Top two albums in my life at present:

1) *Phrenology*, The Roots -- I hesitated over a year to buy this for fear it was too many genres jumbled into one, but now I know it is nothing but off the hizzle. Hearing "The Seed (2.0)" (especially Cody ChesnuTT's cameo) in *Collateral* tipped the scale for me; I had to have it.

2) *The Tipping Point*, The Roots -- The latest from Philly's freshest. Indescribably good.

I could listen to these albums a dozen times straight tomorrow, and may just do that.

Top Quote of the Day:

"The flaw was so complex that even explaining it to mathemticians would require the mathemetician to study the partcular part of the proof intensively for two or three months before making a valid critique." -- from an unnamed book I am reading as a gift for one of my friends.

Now that's my kind of maths. I mean it. Math is best wehn it's purest. Forget all this practical application work; leave it to the engineers. Since I'll never even make into the parking lot of such maths, give me head-splitting career-stopping abstraction to observe from afar. I never thought I'd get into a maths book, but I have with great interest. I've already got my next pop-maths book on deck.

A co-worker today told me a saying he'd heard when he entered college: "In college, biology is chemistry, chemistry is physics, physics is math, and math is theology." Another co-worker added a clever line: "And sociology is biology." Touche.

No comments: