Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Anima Christi

I recently heard this prayed in Spanish by an 84-year-old priest in Taipei (as recorded and brought back to Taichung by Fr. Ramón on his cell phone). Absolutely soul-wrenching. I just about fell out of my chair for the power and humble beauty of it. Take a seat.

Alma de Cristo, santifícame.

Cuerpo de Cristo, sálvame.

Sangre de Cristo, embriágame.

Agua del costado de Cristo, lávame.

Pasión de Cristo, confórtame.

¡Oh, buen Jesús!, óyeme.

Dentro de tus llagas, escóndeme.

No permitas que me aparte de Ti.

Del maligno enemigo, defiéndeme.

En la hora de mi muerte, llámame.

Y mándame ir a Ti.

Para que con tus santos te alabe.

Por los siglos de los siglos.

Amén.

In English:

Soul of Christ, sanctify me

Body of Christ, save me

Blood of Christ, inebriate me

Water from Christ's side, wash me

Passion of Christ, strengthen me

O good Jesus, hear me

Within Thy wounds hide me

Suffer me not to be separated from Thee

From the malicious enemy defend me

In the hour of my death call me

And bid me come unto Thee

That I may praise Thee with Thy saints

and with Thy angels

Forever and ever

Amen

In Latin:

Anima Christi sanctifica me

Corpus Christi salva me.

Sanguis Christi inebria me.

Aqua lateris Christi lava me

Passio Christi conforta me

O bone Jesu exaudi me

In tua vulnera absconde me

Ne permittas me separari a te.

Ab hoste maligno defende me.

In hora mortis meæ voca me

Et jube me venire ad te.

Ut cum sanctis tuis laudem te.

In sæcula sæculorum.

Amen.

No comments: