Monday, January 3, 2005

Went to a posh banquet last night...

for poor people. (I know, I know: "Please pass the cynicism.") But I wonder: would all those many people have paid as much as they did for the same cause _without_ the snazzy meal? Would I?

At least the event was eye-opening. A divorce happens every 8 minutes in Taiwan. Taiwan is the second worst nation for suicide behind Japan. Paradoxically, there's little better to make you feel at home than to know the horrors of your home. The deeper into the darkness of Taiwan I see, the more I know I am (for now) in a place rightly called home. The hordes of once-anonymous Taiwanese behind scooter masks and in cluttered shops now have stories all their own. God calls me to write His good news into their stories -- albeit first by hearing them out.

"Here am I, O Lord, send me."

No comments: