Wednesday, September 5, 2007

What is Darfur dying for?

I want to publicize a book I've recently begun reading, Don Cheadle's and Ron Prendergast's Not on Our Watch: The Mission to End Genocide in Darfur and Beyond. It's an advocacy book trying to raise awareness about the horrors in Darfur, what Elie Wiesel calls "today's capital of human suffering", and to motivate people (how) to push for diplomatic interventions. According to a note on the bottom of the front cover, "A portion of the proceeds is being donated to ENOUGH, the project to abolish genocide and mass atrocities (www.enoughproject.org)."



Find out about the atrocities in Darfur and please do what you can to stop it. For example, check out the International Rescue Committee.

One other "plug" I'd like to make is for my friend Terri Hewitt's book, The Rock Which Saves. I, among others, helped her get the thing done and so, even apart from enjoying the book as a true, personal story, I'm happy to see it finally on the market.



No comments: