Friday, February 12, 2010

How should I put this?

Quit quitting quitting!

Stop stopping stopping!

Hör auf aufhören zu aufhören!

+++


It's horrible that it's horrible that it's horrible.

It's wonderful that it's wonderful that it's wonderful.

Then again...

I think it's wonderful that I think it's horrible that I think it's not horrible!

I think it's horrible that I think it's wonderful that I think it's not wonderful!

+++


Everybody, stay calm!!! Keep your voices down!!!

+++


[One side of the phone conversation I just heard in Chinese:]


"..."

"Unh."

"..."

"Unh, unh."

"..."

"Hn, hn."

"..."

"Hn, hn, hn!"

"..."

"Hn."

"Unh. It won't. It won't."

"Hn."

"..."

"Okay."

I would also like to note that the Taiwanese, and I believe all Chinese speakers, say "It's funny!" when they laugh at something and "It hurts!" when they feel pain. Presumably, the laughing sound and painful reactions are not adequate. ;) All kidding aside, I think such behavior underscores the highly social nature of Chinese communication.

No comments: