Thursday, October 5, 2006

Pop culchure at large

A major pandemic of the internet is "sarcasmophobia" (on the receiving end, or "sarcasmophilia" on the dishing end), so I want to be clear: I genuinely thank the reader below for noting FCA's recent layout "idiosyncracy" (i.e., hyperlinks are invisible because they color-blend into the text background). I realize this is technically a "problem." Even so, the fact is, I intentionally changed my HTML template to "disappear" the links. Why? Because, well... there is a bizarre appeal in having a madlibs blog.

Imagine: for the breakdancing post below, you have the freedom to read it as, "I just love dis guy... when he EXPLODES. And CHESTER COPPERPOT ain't no schlub either. Lastly, of course, my NEPHEW'S BIRTHMARK is why I used to watch BIRDS DIE." Once you touch the link, the boring uncreative truth peeks out in maroon (and remains visible in blue after you click on it). But until then -- until that fateful tempting nudge of the mouse cursor -- the sky's the limit!

But that's not all. A germinal but until this moment unconscious motive is my interest in the CIA. Take for example two books I own: Robert Baer's See No Evil and Marchetti & Marks's The CIA and the Cult of Intelligence. Throughout their pages, both books have way cool blacked-out lines and phrases where the CIA censored them. So now reading FCA is like reading a de-classified document (hurry, minimize the document, Agent Boss is coming!).

Folks, where else but FCA -- where we aim for accuracy by volume! -- where else could you enjoy arcane social commentary, random pop-culchure links, Fakespearian brilliance, sporadic theological and philosophical mutterings, AND a choose-your-own-hyperlink adventure? Where else but your dreams!

Paradoxically, if nothing else this "distraction" gets you to notice the links even more, for reading a post now is like watching a person without a shadow. You sense something is wrong, something unseen yet blatant, and you simply can't look away. Mwahahaha!

NOTE TO ALL READERS: I'm curious to see readers' thoughts on this camouflage tactic. It is an experiment. Survey says...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please refer to: A note from Elliam I. Fakespeare… - c/o FCARD