Sunday, August 8, 2004

Augustine Day by Day - August 7 - You Must Be Drawn

"Our Lord said: 'No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws that person.' This is a great commendation of grace!

"Do not make judgments about whom God draws and whom he does not draw, unless you wish to fall into error. Accept this once and for all, and understand it: you are not yet drawn to God? Pray that you may be drawn!"

-- Sermon on John 26, 2

Interesting. Pray that you may be drawn to God by God. Draw near to God in order that God may draw you to Him.

Prayer. Lord, heal and open my eyes that I may recognize your will. Put to flight my foolishness that I may know you. Show me the road I must travel that I may see you. Thus aided, I hope to do all you have commanded me.

-- Soliloquies 1, 5

August 7

O God, show me the road I must travel! Give me the strength to walk, the courage to follow, and the desire to travel only with You.

No comments: