Saturday, February 19, 2005

One of the best books I've ever read


(with Griff Witte)

Amazingly well documented, superbly lucid and downright rollercoaster-paced. My roommate saw it and asked if it was written by a liberal, to which I answered, "I don't know." But the question is as much a nonsequitur as its answer, since it's silly to try pinnning down such an expansive, exhaustive and balanced exposé as Coll's as either "conservative" or "liberal". Indeed, I'm so pleased with _Ghost Wars_ that I intend to give all of Coll's books a good long gander.

Of course, at about 600 large, dense pages, it's not a weekend read. In fact, its cast of characters, foreign names and calamitous events make it sometimes as baffling and intricate as a Russian saga-novel set in the Middle East. Even so, _Ghost Wars_ merits the accolade unputdownable without qualification. Buy it, read it, get informed -- and get concerned.

No comments: