Sunday, November 6, 2005

My very own Jesuit Hono[u]r Roll!

Thumbing my nose at the widespread anti-Jesuitry in St. Blog's parish, and the Catholicism-I-Know generally, I have decided (with Credo's permission) to add a Jesuit Honor Roll to my sidebar. Two things tipped my hand to add the Roll. First, Credo said I could.

Second, I attended a Mass yesterday at Fu Ren University in Xin Zhuang; yesterday, November 5th, was the feast of All Saints and Blesseds of the Society of Jesus. It was really something. Not fruit-loopy, as, I admit, I slightly worried "those Jesuits" might let it be. Simultaneously Gregorian and modern (male chanting harmony plus overhead songs and a subdued electric guitar). The fathers were old, very old, most of them, but they exuded such jolly fraternal joy!

Before Mass, I made confession with a Jesuit, which, I must say, was one of the best confessions I've ever experienced. I smiled despite myself as the priest counseled me about "movements" and "sensations" of the soul. "This is Jesuit theology, as if straight from St. Ignatius," I said to myself, "right before my closed eyes!" Anyway, it was a real pleasure to enjoy such nice company (plus, there was a free meal afterward!). Adding the Honor Roll today seems reassuringly "meet" under the aegis of Providence.

At any rate, the criteria for making the list are 1) be a Jesuit, 2) persevere as a Jesuit, 3) at the very least, not actively promulgate grave doubts, heresies or scandals as a Jesuit, 4) work, preach, teach or write in a Christ-honoring, Ignatian way and about issues I find interesting and/or honorable, and 5) reach my blogging radar. Fr. Walling, for example, whom I met this weekend at Fu Ren, has been serving in China/Taiwan for decades, and directs retreats at the Manresa Center in Jing Shan; so not only do I respect his legacy but also know him personally -- in fact, he may well lead me through the Exercises this Chinese New Year!

The bottom line criterion for Jesuit honor? Is there any question?

"Ad majorem Dei gloriam!"

Over time, I want to tweak, correct or expand the links, but here is the list as it stands now:

  • Fr. John Hardon, S.J. (R.I.P.) [more]


  • Fr. Greg Jordan, S.J. [more]


  • Fr. James Schall, S.J. [more 1, 2]


  • Fr. Joseph Fessio, S.J. [more]


  • Fr. Paul Mankowski, S.J. [more]


  • Fr. Robert Spitzer, S.J. [more]


  • Fr. Joe Koterski, S.J.


  • Avery Cardinal Dulles, S.J.


  • Fr. Paul Shaughnessy, S.J.


  • Fr. John Kavanaugh, S.J.


  • Fr. Mitch Pacwa, S.J.


  • Fr. Jim Kubicki, S.J.


  • Fr. Ron Tacelli, S.J. [ more]


  • Fr. Richard Hermes, S.J.


  • Fr. Greg Boyle, S.J.


  • Fr. John Conley, S.J.


  • Fr. Edwin F. Healy, S.J.


  • Fr. Tom King, S.J.


  • Fr. Ray Gawronski, S.J.


  • Fr. Bill Kurz, S.J.


  • Fr. David Meconi, S.J.


  • Fr. Dick Tomasek, S.J.


  • Fr. Al Winshman, S.J.


  • Paul Cardinal Shan Kuo-hsi, S.J.
    [
    more 1, 2]


  • Fr. James Chevedden, S.J.
    (R.I.P.)


  • Fr. Norman Walling, S.J. [more]


  • Ignatius Cardinal Pin-Mei Kung, S.J. (R.I.P.)


  • Archbishop Tang Yee-Ming, S.J. (R.I.P.)


  • Fr. Martin McDermott, S.J.


  • Fr. Edward A. Oakes, S.J.


  • Fr. Brian E. Daley, S.J.


  • Fr. Kenneth Baker, S.J.


  • Fr. Louis Aldrich, S.J.
  • 1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    God bless you and your zeal for His House!! Keep up the good work,
    Fr. Meconi, SJ