Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Cognitive finality...

"Often, belief can be complemented by good will and natural desire. E.g., I may not be SURE of my friend’s every intention, but I can complement my hunches into knowledge based on charity towards him. As for natural desire, an intuition may be enhanced into knowledge not only by our natural receptivity to see evidence more attentively, as well as to discount skeptical worries based on a larger fund of natural experience. E.g., I may not be SURE the meat loaf is not poisoned, or is not my old uncle’s thigh, but I can assuage that skepticism with the larger fund of knowledge about how the world generally works (and since meat loaf is a general thing in the world, it gets the same 'general' pass)." -- (quoted from an earlier post)

RELATED POSTS: Facts and Logic, Reasons and Values, Friends and Rationality, The Evidence for Evidence, ...

No comments: