Monday, November 1, 2004

CURRENTLY READING...



_Jesus in Beijing_ by David Aikman

It's my roommate's book, but I want to read it while he's in China. Only a chapter or two in, I have my Only Comments at this moment are that Aikman conveys a faint whiff of anti-Catholicism (or perhaps just "high-churchism") and that the book is a great springboard for further study.

Speaking of which, I went to the library this Saturday (Wǒ xīngqí liù chyù túshūguǎn / 我星期日去圖書館) and got a library card. Even before I left, I had resolved to donate about half my books to the library. It's a truly massive library (at least ten stories). But it was pitiful to see, on the one hand, how few English books they had for the ex-pat community on some subjects and, on the other hand, how many books they had that I could profit from even without owning my (largely unread) library.

For a bibliophile, I am shamefully negligent towards public libraries. I've wrestled with years why I should own so many books when I have dozens of others ahead of me still unread. My main justification has been to keep books as resources if other people need them. But my donating books hardly detracts from my ability to get said resources. Plus, it feels good to "lose some weight" and to contribute to my urnam community.

No comments: