Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Gym regimen - October 2010

A2: Chest and Calves (TUESDAY): 50 mins
Non-circuit
92kg, BMI 26.5

Warmup: calisthenics, stretching, ski machine, pushups, pec deck

Bench press: 10, 6/2, 8* @ 75kg, 85kg/80kg, 85kg
[Last 8 reps I had a spotter, but forget about tabulating what fraction of the reps/weight he helped with.]

Incline bench press: 6/4, 6/2, 10* @ 65kg/50g, 65kg/60kg, 70kg
[Last 10 reps were with a spotter and he pushed me from my planned 6 to 10 reps. Hoorah!]

Incline/Prone cable flye: 12, 10, 8 @ 18kg, 27kg, 32kg
[Kind of awkward since this is the first time I tried this exercise and I had to jerry-rig my own bench. I eventually discovered it's best just to lie prone on a couple stacked small benches and do the flyes. Good burn!]

Pullover: 12, 12, 12 @ 18kg, 22kg, 26kg
[These are way more effective and grueling at the end of a chest workout!]

Seated calf raise (alternating angles): 40, 40, 40 @ 45kg

Ski machine: 3 min, 3 min, 2 min
[Must train my left foot back to pain-free motility. Plus, more cardio is good.]

Cooldown:
Pec deck: 15 @ 45kg

+ + +

This was a very experimental workout, but I was pleased with the results. I have been doing some research on how to train the chest, which I have said over and over again is my weak spot. This article cued me into the importance of the order of the exercises. Hence, not only did I flip everything around and do flat bench and incline bench before flyes and pullovers, but also did a straight-set routine, rather than a circuit workout. The drops I had to make in my weight attest to how much more intense the straight sets can be than the circuits (at least for how I've been doing my circuits). Seeing as my chest is my weak spot, I decided to go for broke and "take it to the base." If I'm not sore in the pecs the next few days, I demand a refund from Galileo and Newton! Better to drop some weight from my ego and see results. Need to work my abs tomorrow. Patience, Humility, Confidence.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm a little confused as to what the purpose of your blog is.

Is this an online journal of sorts. I had thought it more a place for you to pronounce and debate your theology as well as insert the occasional quirkiness that you do so well.

Gym regimens though? Maybe I'm just too squishy and therefore bitter at your discipline over my lack there of but I think I'd still prefer more structuring to the blog. I.e. a section for gym regimens so that I could better cherry pick parts of your blog that interest me.

Anyway all the best,

Unknown said...

OK so I don't do the blog scene much. I discovered the labels section on the side so I guess no reason to categorize or organize after all.

Oops

Codgitator (Cadgertator) said...

It's aight. Like I say, this is THE ME BLOG. It's mostly just what I believe, think, and do on a semi-regular basis. I am thinking about transplanting it all to a webpage, so each piece is an independent link and all the content is better organized.

Any tips for a good, simple web platform?