Sunday, July 18, 2004

Mingus: an appreciation, of sorts -- by Elliot Bougis

Mingus
ah, Mingus
what is your secret thingus
and how does you sting us?
Mingus
ah, Mingus
I
reclining
in a bed of notes
and double cleff
bass drops
and treble shots
Mingus
ah, Mingus Mingus
Mingus in my skin
you
Mingus
in my skin and under it
and on it and through it
ah, Mingus
how the pulse strums
strums strums
pluck! pick!
waddling, staggering, skipping
ah, Mingus
finding souls
together
in alleys of chestnut
and aisles of wire
and stairways of shining,
oozing,
black and white hot
mmm, Mingus
Mingus
do, oh do, string us
along and through
and in and under
your genius
do you even have to try?
do you even fly
in the sky?
but you even die?
and a tear droops down my face
like your hands
somber, thick like fish,
and calloused
down your bass
Mingus
ah, Mingus
a man like other men
a man like other…
then, well then, how…?
but, just a man?
oh yes, Mingus
Mingus, just a man
you admit and you insist
with every riff and grunt
a man like other men
Mingus
say it ain’t so
so maybe it ain’t so
a man like other men
and that was your power
power weakness
and frailty power
say it ain’t so
but’s it’s so
so
Mingus
I
declining in a swirl of notes
your notes
and not mine
say it ain't so
go haed, say it: ain’t so
so
genius comes in all shapes
and sizes
and what shape do I come in
Mingus?
your genius under my skin
and through it
but not it,
it ain’t so
and you’re just a man like other men
but I?
I
a man like Mingus?
say it: ain’t so
Mingus
ah, Mingus
why does you sting us?

No comments: