Thursday, October 21, 2004

What's the difference?

Few things exasperate me more than when my I call my unruly students to task and a ragdoll "I'm sorry" dribbles down their chin. "Don't say that," I tell them, "because I know you're not sorry. I want to see if you're sorry. In fact, don't say anything; just be a good student."

How am I any different to God? He calls me to task and a pathetic, reflexive "I'm so sorry" dribbles down my soul. What does God say?

"Talk is cheap"?

"Show me don't tell me?"

"Apology accepted. You know I lived, died and rose again just so you could piss on my glory in your new birth"?

"I'll believe it when I see it"?

"Oh, don't worry about it. Shucks, I know you were just kidding around"?

"No sweat, kid, I see you as holy in Christ (even though we both know the truth... shhhh....)"?

I'm genuinely asking this. What good is my "contrition" if it's nothing more than a verbal speed bump back into sin? Am I being scrupulous? Or am I just being honest?

No comments: