Thursday, July 15, 2010

Gym regimen - July 2010

Before I begin I want to sort something out. I call each workout "A1, A2, A3, A4" because the "A regimen" is what I'm doing my first month, based on this webpage ((the numbers I use indicate which muscle group(s) I do for that workout). The only reason I call it the "A" regimen is because I know I will adopt a different regimen in a couple weeks––variation and experimentation are key in any training––and in order to keep these routines clear in my mind and in my notes, I knew I had to set up an organization matrix from the get-go. Next month I will adopt Arnold's 4-day routine in The Education of a Bodybuilder. At some point I am sure I will devise my own regimen based on exercises I like or 'believe in' from the A and B regimens. I also know I will occasionally shock my muscles by to switching to one of my old bodyweight routines (basically to get a low weight, high rep pump). So that gives me four projected regimens to keep track of.

I also think at some point I may need to exclude the bar/handle from the weight data. But I like knowing much I am lifting "objectively," not just in terms of what goes on the bar/handle.

The point of this preface is that I may have falsely labeled some of my records in the past couple weeks, so, just to be on the same page with myself:

A1: Quads and Biceps

A2: Chest and Calves

A3: Hamstrings and Back

A4: Shoulders, Triceps and Deltoids

As for last evening… 

+++

15 July 2010
87kg BMI 25
A2: Chest and Calves, 90+ mins

Warmup: Jumping jacks 60x, Jump rope 2 mins, calisthenics/stretching

Cable crossover fly: 12x, 10x, 8x, 6x @ 32.5kg–45kg

Supine barbell fly: 12x, 10x, 8x, 6x @ 12kg–17.5kg

Incline bench press: 12x, 10x, 8x, 6x @ 50kg–70kg

Supine bench press: 12x, 10x, 8x, 6x @ 50kg–75kg

Seated calf raise: 21x, 25x, 25x, 25x @ 40kg–50kg

Single leg calf raise (each leg): 15x, 15x, 15x, 15x @ 12.5kg

Cooldown: Cable crossover: 20x @ 27.5kg; Dumbbell flyes: 20–30x @ 12kg; Incline dumbbell press: 20x @ 15kg; Dumbbell pullovers 15x @ 12kg; Seated calf raise 30x @ 40kg; Underhand wrist curls: 20x, 15x, 12x @ 47.5kg (to failure); Dumbbell pullovers 12x @ 15kg

I had some trouble with the incline and supine bench press. I usually begin with just the supine bench press and then do the other exercises, so reversing the order had me tired by the time I got to it. Plus, I have usually done three sets but now I'm doing four sets. So, once again, I must accept slow but steady gains while focusing on good form along the way. I've never been a strong bencher. I did the pullovers to stretch my chest as a whole and build the beloved serratus anterior. The beat goes on.

I struck upon the idea of making this chronicle into a book, titled The Bodybuilding of an Educator. The angle would be my experience as a foreigner in Taiwan breaking into bodybuilding and the target audience would be readers interested in expatriot 'reportage' or philosophical musings on exercise and life, or just people who might like an 'inspirational' memoir. Might I become the Friedrich Engels of bodybuilding?

Stay tuned!

No comments: