Saturday, July 10, 2004

Augustine Day by Day - July 10 - See God in Your Neighbor

"You who do not yet see God will, by loving your neighbor, make yourself worthy of seeing him. By loving your neighbor, you cleanse your eyes so you can see God. Love your neighbor, then, and see within yourself the source of this love of neighbor. There you will see God insofar as you are able."

-- Sermon on John 17, 8

Prayer. O Lord, my God, pay heed to my prayer. Look with mercy on my desire, which is not concerned with myself alone but with my neighbor's good as well.

-- Confessions 11, 2

July 10

"No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us." -- 1 John 4:12

"If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." -- John 8:31b-32

No comments: