Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Not much more than meets the eye

Soldier becomes Optimus Prime

The only thing exempting this guy from an irrevocable and totally laughable throne in Geekdom is this:

Prime says the toy actually filled a void in his life when it came out.

"My dad passed away the year before and I didn't have anybody really around, so I really latched onto him when I was a kid," he said.


Laugh if you want but Mr. Prime's is a sentiment I can understand all too well. I've never lost a parent, nor any close family members, to death, but I have had my share of loneliness and disorientation as a child of divorce. I'm not sure why but I have a very deep affinity for Logan (aka Wolverine). Until I lost my wallet, I even kept a Marvel collector's card of Wolverine in there, among my credit cards and personal photos. That X-man inspires and comforts me.

Now, it may just be Wolverine's kickass chops, but I think my connection with him has more to do with three of Wolvy's traits: 1) his feral power is always lurking just beneath his human veneer - much like his razor sharp claws ready to spring from beneath his skin, 2) he has a virtually indestructible skeleton (coated as it is in Adamantium) and heals extremely quickly, a skill I've had to rely on more than once, and 3) his painfully confused history - who is he? where does he come from? where does he belong? what is his "lair"?

No comments: