Saturday, July 3, 2004

Augustine Day by Day - July 3 - Who Are the Proud?

"Who are the proud? Those who do not perform penance and confess their sins in order to be healed through humility.

"Who are the proud? Those who attribute to themselves the few good qualities they seem to possess and endeavor to diminish the mercy of God.

"Who are the proud? Those who, while attributing to God the good they accomplish, insult others for not performing such works and raise themselves above them."

-- Commentary on Psalm 93, 15

Prayer. This is my glory, Lord my God, that I might proclaim to you forever that there is nothing from myself for me. All good things come from you, for you are God, all things in all.

-- Commentary on Psalm 29, 13

July 3

"Who confers distinction upon you? What do you have that you have not recieved? But if you have received it, why are you boasting as if you did not receive it?"

-- 1 Corinthians 4:7

"But may I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."

-- Galatians 6:14

No comments: