Saturday, July 3, 2004

Funny man, straight man, black man, good man

CNN.com - Bill Cosby has more harsh words for black community - Jul 2, 2004

Cosby made headlines in May when he upbraided some poor blacks for their grammar and accused them of squandering opportunities the civil rights movement gave them.

He shot back Thursday, saying his detractors were trying in vain to hide the black community's "dirty laundry." ...

In his remarks in May at a commemoration of the anniversary of the Brown v. Board of Education desegregation decision, Cosby denounced some blacks' grammar and said those who commit crimes and wind up behind bars "are not political prisoners." ...

Cosby also said many young people are failing to honor the sacrifices made by those who struggled and died during the civil rights movement.

"Dogs, water hoses that tear the bark off trees, Emmett Till," he said, naming the black youth who was tortured and murdered in Mississippi in 1955, allegedly for whistling at a white woman. "And you're going to tell me you're going to drop out of school? You're going to tell me you're going to steal from a store?"

Cosby also said he wasn't concerned that some whites took his comments and turned them "against our people."

"Let them talk," he said.


And I am talking. Way to go, Mr. Cosby!

I need to be in the inner city. Not that I'm the Cracker Messiah, but because there is need and calls me to obey Him. Full stop.

I once lamented being a white man, since I could never break the racial barrier and be a really identifiable role model for inner city black kids, no matter how devoted I was. But my buddy from UF, Peter, a black man, said, "No, man, it means so much more that you're there when you don't have to be."

God, help me, I have to be. After Taiwan, it's the inner city. That's the way of all flesh. The city is the future.

No comments: