Thursday, October 21, 2004

Augustine Day by Day - October 20 - Blessed the Peacemakers!

"Some people are peacemakers in themselves. By conquering and subjecting to reason all the motions of their souls, and taming their carnal desires, they become, in themselves, a kingdom of God. They enjoy the peace that is given on earth to persons of goodwill, the life of the consummate and perfect person of wisdom."

-- Sermon on the Mount 1, 2

In all fairness, this idea, of internal spiritual subjugation, is one of the larger meanings behind the notoroious Muslim concept of "jihad." This hardly erases the huge gaping ugly fact that jihad also has a completely martial meaning in the Qur'an, but it does give a hint of hope.

Prayer. Lord, whatever you give me is too little for me. Be you yourself my inheritance! I love you with all my heart and all my soul and all my mind. Of what value is anything you give me that is not yourself!

-- Sermon 334, 3

October 20

No comments: