Wednesday, February 27, 2008

No Panes, New Gains

[Here's a ditty I came up with while walking to the office to sign in and then during my first period of invigilating. It's a 3/4 blues rock with some "rising action".]

It frees the ice in my heart
to know you spurned the burn of my love
because it made you cool
to freeze the fire of my love

I know it makes you happy
I'let my love for you go
Because it made you weepy*
I couldn't lose myself in the flow

When two loves collide
but along divergent planes
they only form a shattered X…
A spot marked in vain
a crisscross of dying whistles…
and sullen, empty trains

No more coal in the oven
only coal heap'd'on the floor
No more heat for the hearth
Only ancient** dust in the door

The tread I left on you
was the tread you left on me
The riddle you became to me
became a last crusade for me
My vanguard swept off by*** your rearguard
And my standard on high a lingering shame
When I outflanked all your bluffing****
You blew a trumpet in retreat…
the end of the game…
the end…

When two loves collide
but along divergent planes
they only form a shattered X…
A spot marked in vain
A crisscross of dying whistles…
and sullen, empty trains
barren, hollow trains

No more ink in the ink jar
Only a line left on the page
No more sugar for the coffee
Only hulking thirst 'neath the bed, unassuaged

When two will-be's divide
out along diverging planes
The only glass that kept you warm
Missing, broken, shattered, shattered, broken, missing panes
With no more losses left to hide
it's time to seed those past pains
it's time to harvest all new gains
it's time to put in bright new panes

POSSIBLE ALTERNATE LINES:
* sad; gloomy
** long-still; unmoved; hermetic
*** swallowed by; became
**** gambits; parries

No comments: