Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Gym regimen – August 2010

18 August, 2010
Ur-Workout: ~60 mins
89kg, BMI 25

Well, there you have it. Another injury. This time it's the left pec. Same spot as my early right-pec strain. I can only blame my extra workout Monday night (in red) with all those flyes and elbows-out extensions. As I've said, my chest is my Achilles' heel. (So would my Achilles' heel be my chest?) Week 1: right-pec strain. Week 2&3: lower back/hip soreness from squat and straight-leg deadlift. Week 6: Foot injury. Week 7: Left-pec strain. Why do I keep at it? Because it's there.

0. Warmup: Ski machine & stretching

1. Bench press: 10, 2 @ 60kg

2. Pullup: 12, 12, 14, 12 @ bodyweight

3. Dumbbell military press (total weight): 10, 8, 6 @ 25–45kg

4. Barbell curl: 10, 8, 6 @ 30–42.5kg

5. Elbows-out dumbbell tricep extension (total weight): 10, 8, 6 @ 32kg, 36kg, 38kg
[During my last set I had rather sloppy form on the concentric phase, but solid eccentric (negative) form.]

6. Leg extension: 20, 15, 15, 12/3 @ 35kg, 40kg, 50kg, 55kg
[Gains. Pains. Gains.]

7. Leg curl: 20, 15, 15, 12/3 @ 30kg, 35kg, 40kg, 45kg
[Gains. Pains. Gains.]

1a. Supine French press: 10, 8, 6 @ 25–40kg
[Seeing as I couldn't work my chest, I wanted to double up on my triceps. Very good form on these. I don't lower to my foreheard but arc to the crown of my skull, which I think gives a fuller range of motion. Based on what I've read, the truth is that the key to a good bench press is strong tris and lats and good form. So, even if I can't really work my chest directly for a week or so, I intend to rock my tris, so that once my chest is well again I won't have lost too much on the bench.]

8. Standing calf raise: N/A
[Moratorium on calf raises, due to foot injury.]

9. Kneeling rope pulldown (20 + 10 obliques): 30, 30, 30, 30 @ 73kg, 77.5kg, 77.5kg, 77.5kg

10. Wrist curl: N/A
[I'll work wrists on off-days.]

+++

I'm kind of baffled that I havent gained much weight in the past two months, but, then again, I have not gained fat and I have clearly gained definition and strength, so let "mass" take the hindmost for now. Because I'll be leading a small Bible group discussion Friday afternoon and then teaching Friday afternoon/evening, I won't workout again until Saturday afternoon or evening, which will give my pititful pectorals a good chance to rest. Not that I intend to hit bench press until next week. Just saying, the extra day of rest will be good for me.

No comments: