Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Woe is I...

The hardest thing about being me is that I have to put up with myself 24 hours a day, everday.

Perhaps if you pause and ponder, the same may be true of you, of yourself.

But I doubt it.

[Writing this small act of humility is based not only on a renewed awareness of my basic suckiness as a person and as a Christian--two redundant terms, when you follow the logic--but in fact on a specific event in my junior or senior year of college. I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth and my roommate entered to brush his teeth. He satrted flossing his teeth and I edged up real close on him, brushing deliberately and just staring at his ear while he looked at me, bemusedly, in the mirror. I backed off and chuckled, but suddently admitted, "I'm impressed, man. I could never live with myself. I'd kick my ass all the time." It's funny because it's true.]

No comments: