Monday, August 30, 2010

Gym regimen - August 2010

30 August, 2010
Ur-Workout: 50-60 mins
89kg, BMI 25

0. Warmup: Stretching

1. Bench press: 12, 10, 8 @ 50-60kg
[Felt a little soreness in my left pec but I think it's safe again to do the bench press. I'll just have to keep my weight low for a week or two to "get some strength back under the injury," as it were.]

1a. Elbows-out dumbbell tricep extension (total weight): ø

2. Pullups: 12, 13, 13/-1/-1 @ bodyweight
[On my last set I did 13 in a row, then, after a brief pause, two negatives--hence the -1 and -1.]

2a. Lever bench row: ø

3. Barbell military press: 10, 8, 6 @ 35–48kg

4. Barbell curl: 10, 8, 6 @ 35–42.5kg
[Some sloppy form here on some reps but it's interesting I can do less total weight with the barbell than with the dumbbells. Probably because the barbell locks in my elbows betters and isolates the biceps more.]

5. Supine French press: 10, 8, 6 @ 25–45kg

6. Leg extensions: 18, 15, 12 @ 35-50kg

7. Leg curl: 18, 15, 12 @ 35-45kg

8. Standing calf raise: ø

9. Kneeling rope pulldown (20 + 10 obliques): 20/10, 30, 30 @ ~40kg
[I made sure to contract/curl more deeply into my knees so as to work the abs more.]

10. Wrist curl: ø

Cooldown: ø

+++

I was in a rush again, but, when I got to work, I realized I was off by an hour and could have taken my time. I tried to keep my sets tight but I felt very sluggish today, for two reasons, I think. First, I worked out perhaps too soon after lunch, so my circulation was still "a house divided" between my muscles and my digestive tract. Second, it was just so hot and sunny. Draining. And maybe the weekend away, at the Qing Jing farm resort area, drained me a bit. I got a decent little sunburn and we walked and drove many hours both days. Tourism is actually very exhausting for me. My eyes start to ache after too much window shopping and I prefer to just go some place nice and relax. I guess that's the doughy scholar in me. Or to recall a scene in Wayne's World, maybe I've got mono. :p I'm still perplexed that I haven't seemed to gain any weight, according to the scale, but I appear to have gained weight, according to the fit of my clothes and the mirror. Onward!

2 comments:

Just Thinking said...

Codge

Did not know where to post this...

Anthropologists now realizing triadic semiotic signals - recursion is not a preq for language.

http://fora.tv/2009/03/20/Daniel_Everett_Endangered_Languages_and_Lost_Knowledge

How about those Austin boys? I really like their way.

Codgitator (Cadgertator) said...

JT:

Thanks for the link. You can post comments on any post, I'll get a notice by email. I've seen the Piraha presented twice now as paradigm-breakers for all things western so perhaps you'll understand my academic BS radar is on alert. I'll certainly have a look, though.

Best,