Friday, August 27, 2010

What is a man?

A Man: Tell me, what is a man?

Real Science: He is but a small complex… of complex molecular and subatomic interactions dispersed over a nominalistically recognized field which we call "man".

AM: Okay…. Tell me about America.

RS: It is but a large complex of molecular and subatomic interactions dispersed over a nominalistically recognized field of mountains and rivers and civic libraries all of which are known as "America".

AM: Okay…. Tell me about "small" fields.

RS: They are like humans.

AM: Tell me again about large fields.

RS: They are like America.

AM: So… tell me anything about anything.

RS: Not my department.

AM: Tell me, who are "we" in all this?

RS: Again, not my department. But that man over there might know.

2 comments:

Crude said...

Amusing, and I like it. Reminds me of Just Thomism's self-conversations.

Codgitator (Cadgertator) said...

Well, as my uncle Mordecai, a famous diabetic from Brooklyn, used to say, "Better that it's amusing and you like it than it's amusing and you not like it!" (No, not really. I've just been watching too much Woody Allen lately.)

Actually, I compose dialogues like this from time to time, such as in my post about "science is as science does," but ususally they're just for laughs. Search my archives for Bertus and Ernius.