Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Gym routine - August 2010

25 August, 2010
Ur-Workout: 70 mins
89kg, BMI 25

0. Warmup: Exercise bike, ski machine, stretching

1. Bench press:
[Not until my left pec gets better.]

1a. Elbows-out dumbbell tricep extension (total weight): 10, 8, 6 @ 32–40kg

2. Pullup: 12 @ bodyweight

2a. Lever bench row: 10, 8, 6 @ 100-120kg
[I probably need to change this to a 12, 10, 8 rep-scheme and keep the weight from 100–110kg. My form was a little off tonight––I let my chest come off the pad––and, on top of that, I didn't feel as much PUMP as I want to feel when I work my lats! More reps! heheh]

3. Dumbbell military press (total weight): 10, 8, 6 @ 36–54kg

4. Dumbbell curl (total weight): 10, 8, 6 @ 30–45kg
[I tried a new technique with these: grip the handle at the outer head, not in the middle, so there is more space between the blade of your hand and the inner head, and no space between your thumb and the outer head. This accentuates the supinating power of the biceps as opposed to the mere flexing.]

5. Decline leg press: 20, 18, 16, 12 @ 130-180kg
[My foot felt a little achey but otherwise it was great to be able to do the leg press again!]

6. Leg curl: 20, 15, 15, 12 @ 30-45kg
[My hams have definitely gotten stronger. I did 15 reps at 40kg with only socially tolerable grunting on the last few reps. Finishing 12 reps at 45kg, however, was a beautifully raw effort.]

7. Supine French press: 10, 8, 6 @ 25–40kg (?)
[I could really feel the extra challenge I gave my left arm in my last workout. Doubling up on my tris lately has made me sore but I like the challenge.]

8. Standing calf raise: N/A
[Moratorium on calf raises, due to foot injury.]

9. Kneeling rope pulldown (20 + 10 obliques): 30, 30, 32, 32 @ 35-40kg
[I realized today that the reason I have been doing 70kg+ is because the cable machine I was on has lots of pulleys, which inflate the weight. When I went to a straight, single-pulley machine, 40kg felt about the same as my usual 77.5kg, so I'm splitting the difference. This is one of those cases when an "illusion of weight" doesn't annoy me at all: I have felt the soreness in my serrati anterior and abs, and I love the pump during this exercise, so the numbers can take the hindmost.]

10. Wrist curl: N/A
[I'll work wrists on off-days.]

Cooldown: That wacky vibrating machine from the 1950s!
[I read that vibrations actually do help muscle growth (e.g. as claimed here), so it seems like a mini-massage afterwards is a good way to cool down. If nothing else, it's soothing.]

+++

I have to get my intensity up, which means I have to get my time down. Granted, my 70 minutes today included at least 5 minutes of warmup and 5 minutes of cooldown, so that puts me at 60 minutes of actual workout time. I also have to factor in the delay from waiting on other people. Still, I'd like to get my workout to 50 minutes or less, no matter what.

1 comment:

mightygreekwritingmachine said...

E-man, my neighbor, growing up, actually had one of those vibrating machines! It was a hoot!