Sunday, May 9, 2010

Life lessons…

I studied German four years in high school and then majored in it at university. We listened to this song by Gerhard Schöne in 19th grade (I think), and it's always stayed with me (though I only discovered the singer's name while poking around on Youtube last night). From what I can gather, Schöne is like Germany's Cat Stephens and "Ganz Einfach" (Quite Simple) might be described as the inverse of "The Cat's in the Cradle." In Stephens' song the father from his equally shallow son the value of cherishing each moment and not letting work dominate our lives. In Schöne's song, by contrast, a wise father instructs his harried son how to live in the present. "When I sleep, I sleep; when I get up, I get up," he says. But, he says to his son, "When you sleep, you get up; When you get up, off you go." It's a superb song for drilling conjugations and key vocabulary.

Viel Vergnügen beim Hören!



Ein Mann fahrt zu 'nem Blitzbesuch
zu seinem Vater im Dorf.
Der Alte futtert grade Katzen.
Der Mann sagt "Tag! Ich bleib' nicht lang,
hab eigentlich gar keine Zeit
Ich weiB nicht mehr, wo mir der Kopf steht!
Ich hetz mich ab und schaffe nichts.
Ich bin nur noch ein Nervenwrack.
Woher nimmst du nur deine Ruhe?"
Der Alte kratzt sein linkes Ohr
und sagt: "Mein Lieber, hor gut hin,
ich mach es so, es ist ganz einfach:

Wenn ich schlafe, schlafe ich.
Wenn ich aufsteh', steh' ich auf.
Wenn ich gehe, gehe ich.
Wenn ich esse, eB' ich.

Wenn ich schaffe, schaffe ich.
Wenn ich plane, plane ich.
Wenn ich spreche, spreche ich.
Wenn ich hore, hor' ich."

Der Mann sagt: "Was soll dieser Quatsch?
Das alles mache ich auch,
und trotzdem find' ich keine Ruhe."
Der Alte kratzt sein linkes Ohr
und sagt: "Mein Lieber, hor' gut hin,
du machst es alles etwas anders:

Wenn du schlafst, stehst du schon auf.
Wenn du aufstehst, gehst du schon.
Wenn du gehst, iBt du schon,
Wenn du iBt, dann schaffst du.

Wenn du schaffst, dann planst du schon.
Wenn du planst, dann sprichst du schon.
Wenn du sprichst, dann horst du schon.
Wenn du horst, dann schlafst du.

Wenn ich schlafe, schlafe ich .......


Another gem I discovered last night is this video:



As a German major and Germanophile, this had em rolling a few times. Very well done.

This is also a delightful little plug for the Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (as opposed to the Masschatschuszettz Institute of Technology):



I can't embed this video but it's awfully funny if you've studied German before. I think the comedian, Kaya Yanar, is a Turkish-German, based on his accent and name. "Der, die, das, de de de!"

Lastly, this clip is hilarious, not the least because Kerkeling is a language and accent wizard. I've stumbled onto a comedic goldmine in Hape (Hanz Peter) Kerkeling. He strikes me as the German Sacha Baron-Cohen but not as lewd, probably more creative, and no less intelligent. I'm very interested to read his book about his pilgrimage on Jakobsweg, Ich bin dann mal weg.

No comments: