Monday, June 21, 2004

Augustine Day by Day - June 21 - Question Your Heart

My brothers and sisters, question your heart, and if you cannot find love of neighbor there set your mind at ease. Such love cannot exist without the Spirit of God. Paul the Apostle bears witness to this: "The love of God has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us."

-- Sermon on 1 John 6, 10

Okay, I'll admit: I don't understand what Augustine is saying. Can anyone help me understand?


Prayer. Lord, whatever you give me is too little for me. Be yourself my inheritance! I love you without reserve: with all my heart, soul, and mind. Of what value is anything you give me that is not yourself!

-- Sermon 334, 3

June 21

We must love the orchard owner more than the fruit he gives us.

No comments: