Tuesday, September 7, 2004

Augustine Day by Day - September 6 - O Beauty, So Ancient and So New

"Too late have I loved you, O Beauty so ancient and so new, too late have I loved you. You have called to me, and have cried out, and have shattered my deafness. You have blazed forth with light and have put my blindness to flight! You have sent forth fragrance, and I have drawn in my breath, and I pant after you. I have tasted you, and I hunger and thrist after you. You have touched me, and I have burned for your peace."

-- Confessions 10, 27

So late have I loved You, O God, and too little do I love you. So eternally have You loved me, my God, and too much do You love me.

Prayer. My faith, O Lord, which you gave me through the humanity of your Son, calls upon you.

-- Confessions 1, 1

Look not upon our sins, O Lord, but upon the faith of Your Church.

September 6

No comments: