Thursday, September 16, 2004

Taiwan touch my heart



Well, campers (always wanted to use that), Teacher Elliot is off to bed in preparation for a fullll day tomorrow. I have six hours of class followed by the middle school English club. During the day I need to grade 160 or so quizzes and make a listening quiz due Monday. After work I must go to the Water Tower for Banner's English Corner. For about the past two days I've been fending off a smidgeon of illness and a good night of sleep should do me well.

Some of the added "time crunch" is that I will be out of town all weekend, so I need to finish my work now before I leave. Where will I be, ye ask? Taiwan's beautiful Green Island (check these pics too, if ya lahk). I was invited by someone at my school and I knew it was a golden (or at least verdant) opportunity not to be missed. We (being I and thirty or so Taiwanese folks) plan to leave tomorrow night at 2230 (10:30 PM) by bus to Taidong (Taitung) and then catch a boat out to Green Island. Sweeeeet! I love boats (even despite the fact that I'm almost guaranteed to vomit).

I hope to post more pictures of Taiwan in general over the next few weeks. But, eh, you know me. Life offline is pretty hectic (and not a little alluring[1]). Mmm, and best of all, books never say no. :shudder with eyes askance:

[1] litotes: A figure of speech consisting of an understatement in which an affirmative is expressed by negating its opposite, as in This is no small problem. Luke, of the Gospel of Luke and the Book of Acts, used litotes none too infrequently.

No comments: